Healthcare Information Systems
|Professors||George Vassilacopoulos Flora Malamateniou|
|Lecture hours||3 hours|
|Lab hours||2 hours|
|Digital resources||View on Evdoxos (Open e-Class)|
The objective of this course is to present fundamentals concepts regarding Healthcare Information Systems (HIS). HIS are described at both conceptual and technical level and types of HIS are studied thoroughly. In addition, best practices regarding HIS architectural design, development methodologies and interoperability are analysed. Challenges and perspectives of HIS are presented with reference to modern digital technologies of data analytics and artificial intelligence. The course will incorporate a significant laboratory component with various digital tools (mainly open source) that allow student to implement HIS.
Upon successful completion of the course the students will be able to:
- Understand the connection between healthcare systems and healthcare information systems
- Define the users of information and decision support based on existing data
- Describe the general functions, objectives and advantages of HIS
- Describe contemporary architectural trends and HIS, in the form of services provided, for supporting important healthcare processes
- Compare various HIS characteristics and choose the most appropriate systems for specific needs and operational frameworks
- Develop HIS, by using open source tools, inventing innovative practices in the fields of medical data architecture and management for their multiple exploitation.
- Healthcare Information Systems: General characteristics. HIS evolution.
- HIS analysis, design and implementation.
- Patient-oriented HIS development.
- Process-oriented healthcare organizations. Healthcare process and data management.
- Specialized HIS. Contribution to provided healthcare services.
- HIS architectures, integration and interoperability.
- HIS security. Standards and security policies.
- Presentation of well-known commercial HIS of the global market regarding electronic health records.
- HIS challenges and perspectives. HIS in Greece.
- HIS development (analysis, design, implementation, testing, operation, maintenance).
- Karen A. Wager, Frances W. Lee and John P. Glaser (2009): Health Care Information Systems: A Practical Approach for Health Care Management, Jossey-Bass.
- Joseph Tan (2010): Developments in Healthcare Information Systems and Healthcare Informatics: Improving Efficiency and Productivity, IGI Global.
- Charlotte A. Weaver, Marion J. Ball, George R. Kim, Joan M. Kiel, (2015): Healthcare Information Management Systems: Cases, Strategies, and Solutions, Springer.
- Sean P. Murphy, (2015), Healthcare Information Security and Privacy, McGraw-Hill Education.
- Pamela K Oachs, Amy Watters, (2016), Health Information Management: Concepts, Principles, and Practice, American Health Information Management Association.
- International Journal of Healthcare Information Systems and Informatics (IJHISI), IGI Global
- International Journal of Healthcare Technology and Management, Inderscience
- International Journal of Medical Informatics, Elsevier.