|Lecture hours||3 hours|
|Lab hours||2 hours|
|Digital resources||View on Evdoxos (Open e-Class)|
The objective of this course is to provide an introduction to broadband technologies and their applications and familiarize students with broadband networks and relevant protocols.
At the end of this course, students will have acquired advanced/in depth knowledge in the field of Broadband Communications Systems, with particular emphasis on baseband processing physical layer techniques, and Medium Access Control design as well as Broadband Networks design and architectures.
The students will be capable of performing numerical calculations of various broadband network parameters, stochastic modelling of transceivers, signal processing algorithm analysis and design and performance assessment by means of analytical evaluations and simulations.
The students will also be capable of comprehending the design principles of a number of Broadband technologies.
- Introduction to broadband networks, main concepts: bandwidth, transmission basics, switching, multiplexing, spread spectrum, transmission media.
- Integrated services networks, access networks, core networks, Integrated services networks: integrated services digital networks (ISDN), broadband integrated services digital networks (B-ISDN).
- Wireline Access networks/technologies: public switched telephone networks (PSTN), digital subscriber line (DSL), wireless-access (broadcasting, mobile, fixed-wireless access–FWA), fiber to the curb/home (FTTX).
- Core networks/technologies: Ethernet, ethernet wide area networks, optical technologies, synchronous optical networks (SONET), wave division multiplexing (WDM), passive optical networks (PONs).
- Wireless wide are broadband technologies: 3G (WCDMA), 4G (LTE, LTE-Advanced), 5G.
- Wireless Local Area Networks: WiFi- IEEE 802.11
- Internet of Things network infrastructures
- Behrouz A. Forouzan, “Data Communications and Networking”, Fourth edition, McGraw-Hill, 2007
- W Stallings, Wireless Communciations and Networks, Pearson, 2004.
- D. Tse, P. Viswanath, Fundamentals of Wireless Communciations, 2005.
- T. S. Rappaport, Wireless communications – Principles and practices, Pearson, 2002.
- Russell Τ. (1997): Telecommunication Protocols (McGraw-Hill Education).
- Cajetan M. Akujuobi, Matthew N.O. Sadiku (1997): Introduction to Broadband Communication Systems, Chapman & Hall/CRC
- Andrea Goldsmith, Wireless Communications, Cambridge University Press, 2005.